<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, April 27, 2006

Spleen and Ideal 

I was out shopping with my buddy Dave today when I came across an old album I've been looking for for years: Dead Can Dance's Spleen and Ideal. Although this album came out when I was in junior high, I was first exposed to it in high school.

Of course, I listened to them well before google. So now I've gotten the best delight of all - to have found the lyrics to their songs on-line! This is a little collage, so-to-speak, of the lyrics from this particular album:

The cause of your desire
Can also lead to your demise.
When all is said and done
It will be you who pays the price
As countless fools are often loathe to testify...
Abstain from the fools paradise, it's an illusion of life, the whole cause of our demise...
Frail of heart
Renounce your fears
Locked away inside
All these years
Remain in light
Renounce your fears
For you have been mesmerized
Break this spell of silence...
Saloman hung down her head, laid bare her heart
For the world to see, she craved for intimacy
Through darkened doors her aspect veiled with indecision
Gazed out to sea, she craved lucidity
Cast adrift from past relationships in her life...
Sea's of rage that once assailed her concern for the truth
Had passed her by and left her high and dry...
Across the sea lies the fountain of renewal
Where you will see the whole cause of your lonliness
Can be measured in dreams that transcend all these lies
And I wish and I pray that there may come a day
For a saviour's arms...

My good friend JennyNYC and I have committed to writing one another a poem a day. It's been very interesting. As I've been busy, I feel I've just been kind of throwing words together willy-nilly, but it's been kind of interesting what's come up. So perhaps song lyrics are grooving with this new poetic frame of mind. If I come up with anything I like, perhaps I'll post it in my blog. We'll see. It's a fun exercise regardless. In fact, if anyone comments on this post, try doing it poetry style! ;-)

Comments:
It's fascinating that you mentioned this because since we started our poem project,I've been posting almost ONLY song lyrics to my daily list serve. It's become a joke that I am going thru a lyric phase! Weird, how the brain just goes with the flow, ya know ;)

I will forward you a few of these lyric posts I keep sending in!
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
those are fantastic. i liked reading them a few times. they shifted in meaning ever so subtly.
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?