<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, April 13, 2006

The First Wax 

I don't shave nor wax my legs all winter long. But then the first day of warm weather, I go and get my legs waxed. This has been my custom for several years now.

Today was that day.

My perception of sensation on my legs is altered suddenly by this abrupt change. In some ways, the sensation is enhanced and in some ways the sensation is lost. Where the hairs once were, I notice a loss of the subtle sensations where hairs once moved against clothing. But the skin that was once buffered by hair now feels more alive without the barrier that was there just an hour ago.

After the warm wax job, I took my new legs on a walk in the park. It is surely a divine gift from God that I now live within walking distance of Golden Gate Park.

As soon as I entered the park this evening, I tossed off my flip flops and ran my feet over the tips of the blades of grass. I found a bench under a tree that was dropping tiny white flower petals from its limbs. What an honor to be blessed by this trees' spray! As I watched the petals fall about me, I heard drumming.

I contemplated walking back home to get my own drum, in the hopes of joining whomever had begun to play out their soul's beat. But I decided instead to listen.

I found the source of the rhythm. A sunlit bench was perfectly placed and waiting vacantly for me. There was a small nest of trees between the drummers and the bench, which afforded me some privacy.

I laid down on the bench, face to the sun, and pulled up my pant legs to let them breathe in the sun and the air.

There are two natural highs that I savor exquisitely. One is surfing and the other is drumming. Listening to other people drum is not quite the same as drumming with them. But what a lovely day, regardless!

Comments:
You can find me as the sun sets all summer at Strawberry Fields (72nd and CPW) listening under a tree to the drumming with my legs waxed...and everything else waxed too.
 
way back in the dim and distant past i was in a band. i played drums. drums, for me, are the key to life and music is the lifeblood that flows from it.
goodness how i wish that over here it was warm enough to slip shoes off and feel the grass.
deeply envious!
 
Sounds like an amazing day. Spring has finally arrived here today as it was my first day out and about without a jacket.

Drums are primal and are relatively simple instruments to play. They bypass the complexities of melody and harmony, thereby allowing greater expression and enjoyment of the music.
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?